Monday 5 January 2015

* bless *

We had to attend a function at night and so I was before mom nagging her that it is just a function for elders and that I will be left alone idling with my phone there. Actually, it was a formal function for 2 days to toast the 50th marriage anniversary of a couple. 
The next moment the phone blurted loud. It was the bride herself on the other side.
“Ekta, you will have to come with your family, you know I may or may not live to invite you a next time.” These were the bride's unabridged words as she conversed. I came to know that she was suffering from cancer which has advanced to its IV stage.
For the next few minutes, many thoughts trailed and gashed inside my head and I kept thinking how a person can live when he knows that all the glimpses flipping around him could be his last ones.
During the function, for the whole time, she had a transcending calmness embellishing her visage. The tumor had stretched out to her stomach and she was enduring intermittent but agonizing pain for the last few days but she hid it all with her serene, perennial smile. She even accompanied the guests on their outings.
Later I came to know this total jolly gathering was stemmed from her children’s thoughts that it would be a good thing if their mom could see all her well wishers all at the same time under one roof.

I just hope she be blessed for every second she breathes

No comments:

Post a Comment